Coconut Flour Blueberry Muffins
This was my first experience with coconut flour, and I think I’m in love! I actually followed this recipe from Health Extremist pretty closely, it being my first time and all, and it was super easy! And the texture came out great (more springy in an eggy way than in a regular gluten way, but totally fine).
Here’s what you do:
– Mix together: 6 eggs, 4.5tbsp coconut oil, 4tbsp some kind of milk or water (I used water but I think milk would have been better), splash of apple cider vinegar, honey – to taste (I did 2tbsp as recommended and they were barely sweet at all, so I ended up spreading some honey butter on them, which was delicious).
– Mix together: 1/2c coconut flour, 1/2tsp baking soda, cinnamon, and salt
– Mix the dry into the wet
– Mix in 1/2c blueberries (I used fresh, which was great)
– Pour into muffin tins and bake at 400*f for 10-15 min
– Eat them
Not having used coconut flour before, I had some concerns, like:
– Do you have to worry about mixing it too much and ending up with a tough consistency like you do with regular flour?
Answer: I don’t think so, I had to practically whip it to get everything to combine (especially since my coconut oil hardened when I put it in with the cold eggs…) and it was fine.
– Do I need to grease the pan?
Answer: No, I guess that would be because of the coconut oil this time, but they were super greasy and slid right out.
– Will these muffins rise?
Answer: Yes – fill the cups up 2/3 of the way like normal. This recipe makes ~a dozen
– Will these muffins actually satisfy my craving for carbs?
Answer: Yes (aka, sorry to anyone who wanted to try one, they were gone within 24 hours)
Pingback: Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes | Chameleon Kitchen
Pingback: Banana Bread Bread Pudding | Chameleon Kitchen