Japanese Quick Pickled Cucumbers
The inspiration for this one was:
1) I was having folks over for dinner and every dish I had planned was (miraculously) regionally cohesive, but I needed an appetizer.
2) There’s this restaurant in Brooklyn, Kings County Imperial, which I love and miss and one of the things I would always get there was their Sichuan cucumber because it was so fresh and delicious, and a great compliment to the warmer, heavier dishes I would also always get.
So, I found this recipe from The Lemon Bowl and it’s so quick and easy and delicious and people asked for the recipe. Here it is:
– 1/4c rice vinegar
– 2tbsp soy sauce (I used Braggs – my current alternative of choice)
– 1tsp sugar
– 1tsp sesame oil
– 1tsp chili paste (I didn’t have this and it was fine without but would have been great with!)
– 1 large (or 4 Persian) sliced cucumbers
– 2 diced scallions
Let sit at room temp for at least 15 minutes
Garnish with sesame seeds!