Spaghetti Squash Casserole
This was one of those where I went to the store and got a spaghetti squash and some ground beef, and then tried to figure out what to do with them – enter this recipe from My Heart Beets, which I mainly followed:
– Cut the spaghetti squash in half, scoop out the seeds, brush with oil (I used coconut) and bake cut-side down at 375*f for ~45 minutes, until it’s soft enough that you can push down the rind, no problem. I did this whole part in advance and then just had it waiting in my fridge til I was actually ready for it
– Heat a LARGE pan over medium heat with
— Oil (I used coconut again)
— Onion (I used a shallot and some dried out scallions)
— Red pepper flakes (they say a Serrano chili, but I made do)
…until the onion is soft.
– Add garlic – 5-or-so cloves – and wait a couple minutes
– Then add the ground beef – a pound or so – and spices: Oregano, paprika, turmeric, thyme, chili powder, cumin, more red pepper flakes (actually called for at this step), salt and pepper. Do all to taste, but healthy amounts of all of them! (The recipe says ~1/2-1tsp)
– Add in chopped red cabbage (or at least that’s what I did, and I think it turned out well because it held it’s texture. They, however, say to do green pepper)
– Once the beef is done, add in the spaghetti squash and tomatoes – they say a 14oz can, but I used 3 1/2 fresh – chopped up
– Also add in a beaten egg
– Pour all of it into a casserole dish and bake at 350*f for ~30-40 minutes until the top is brown. Let sit for a few minutes to set, and then serve!