Kale Sausage Split Pea Soup
This one came about because I had sausage and kale and decided to look on Gojee for something to do with them. And there I found a recipe that called for lentils which I didn’t have, but I did have split peas, so then I just googled those three together and found this recipe from Kitchen Parade. Easy and delicious.
– Cut up a couple links of sausage and brown them in the bottom of your soup pot
– Add in chopped onion, garlic, and I also added in shallot, and sauté until soft
– Add in split peas (they say 2 cups, and I probably did about that – it doesn’t really matter that much), kale, and liquid. They say a mix of chicken stock and water, but I just used veggie bouillon (I know, cheating) and filled up the pot with water until close to the top
– Simmer for ~90 minutes until the split peas are soft
– Serve with a splash of red wine vinegar (or they suggest balsamic) and salt and pepper
It’s a good hearty, winter, yes-I’m-still-wearing-my-puffy-coat-and-tomorrow-is-April kind of soup