Triple Squash Slow-Cooker Chicken Stew
Ever wonder what happens if you cook something in your slow cooker for Way longer than it says to? Well in this case, everything disintegrated. But it was still edible! I think that’s the sign of a great recipe.
This one was originally from Honey, Ghee, & Me and was my attempt to use up the mountains of squash that I have been “saving” from my CSA, and also a gateway to hopefully starting to cook regularly again… Some slight modifications, and here we are!
Into the slow cooker, put:
– Chicken stock (I found some left over in my freezer – yay!)
– Chicken – I used 4 thighs
– Bite-sized chopped squash – they used all butternut, but I used one small butternut, a delicata, and an acorn. The only one I peeled was the butternut. The acorn ended up with some tough skin, even after the massive over-cooking, but with everything else turning to mush, I was kind of into it
– (They say add carrot and celery but I didn’t have those and didn’t think I needed them with all the squash)
– Chopped onion
– Chopped garlic (which I actually didn’t have – oops! So I ended up using a bunch of garlic salt)
-Herbs – they say herb de province and thyme, I used oregano, basil, and cilantro
– They say add a can of tomatoes and some white wine, but I didn’t have those and I did have a can of coconut milk, so I added that instead – obviously!
– (Garlic salt) and pepper
Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours (or on high for 2 hours and then low for 10 hours, which is what I did due to realizing that I wasn’t going to be able to stay up past midnight despite being on California time – not recommended)
Pull the bones out of the chicken (so easy!) and serve garnished with more parsley