Kale, Sausage, Sun-dried Tomato Crustless Quiche
I had gotten my favorite kind of turkey sausage again from DiPaola’s, as well as some kale and eggs, and I went about finding a quiche recipe online because I thought this was a pretty common combination. Turns out, it isn’t, I could really only find this recipe from Bomber Athlete. (Side question for any cooks out there: What’s the difference between a crustless quiche and a frittata?) Anyway, super easy and delicious quick breakfast that lasted me a whole week! Just a few variations from what they did…
– Sauté 1/2 a chopped onion in coconut oil (they said white, I had yellow)
– Add in a couple cloves of smashed and chopped garlic
– Then they want you to add in mushrooms, which I didn’t have, but I did have sun-dried tomatoes! I think this turned out fine – different flavor for sure, but definitely delicious
– Then add in a bunch of kale leaves, chopped as well
– Set all this aside
– Next, cook up your sausage. They say pork sausage, but I used my turkey sausage (duh) which was amazing as always
– Beat together a bunch of eggs. They say to use a whole dozen, but that seemed absurd to me (not sure why) so I just used 8 eggs, and then I also threw in about half a cup of sour cream that I had left over from my onion dip – ’cause why not?
– Grease a 9×9 dish with more coconut oil, and put everything in!
– Bake at 350*f for at least 25 minutes – I think mine took more like 35 – until the eggs are set and the top is turning brown
Mmmm…. kale, sausage, and sun-dried tomatoes are such a great combo! I made something similar to this recently, but it was a frittata with (unfortunately) no dairy and with artichoke hearts. Yum! I think the difference between a crust-less quiche and a frittata is the latter is cooked on the stove until the bottom sets and then broil it in the oven. Good when you’re in a hurry to get dinner on the table, which I usually am!