Creamy Tomato Soup
My cheesy biscuits were delicious, but they really made me crave tomato soup. I found several recipes online that didn’t have sugar, which was important, but the one from The Gracious Pantry seemed to call for ingredients that most resembled what I had. Their basic recipe is to put a bunch of stuff in a pot and heat it up. Mine is a bit more complicated, but not much. Here’s what I did:
– The recipe calls for chicken broth. I thought I was defrosting chicken broth, but it was beef broth. Turned out not to matter! Phew – I was actually a little worried about that one. The recipe also calls for water and bouillon, but I just used more beef broth
– The recipe calls for tomato sauce – I used a large can of fire roasted tomatoes and some slightly dying grape tomatoes
– The recipe calls for garlic and onion powders. I really need to get some of those, but instead I caramelized fresh onion and garlic in a little of the tomato water
– The recipe calls for a bunch of dried herbs. I used what I had which consisted of: thyme, coriander, paprika, red pepper flakes, a bay leaf, and some wilting cilantro. Also salt and pepper.
– The recipe calls for 1c soy milk or 1%milk. I used heavy whipping cream, which is probably why my soup turned out so delicious!
– I also put in a splash of red wine.
I brought it all to a simmer for a few minutes, then took out the bay leaf and immersion-blended it. Yum! Feeling so happy and prepared for winter.
Also… GO VOTE!