Caramelized Broccoli with Garlic
I’ve only ever thought of caramelizing onions (or sugar) so the thought that you can caramelize broccoli was intriguing! This recipe from Food and Wine was great, although all of the stages take longer than they say (or maybe I didn’t have my heat up high enough?) so watch out for that. All you do is…
– Cut the broccoli into thin pieces so each one has a flat side
– Put the broccoli flat-side-down into a pan with 2tbsp olive oil, and cook covered on “moderate heat” until the flat side is brown (they say ~8 minutes, but probably longer… you will notice that my broccoli isn’t very brown 😦 )
– Put in some water and cook covered until that water evaporates and the broccoli is cooked to your preference (they say ~7 minutes, and again probably longer)
– Add in sliced garlic and red pepper flakes and more olive oil and cook uncovered until the garlic is golden brown (they say ~3 minutes….)
– Salt and pepper and done!