I’m not sure I’d ever even had real eggnog before, because this was something else: so think and creamy and amazing. If you can handle the decadence of it (and all the dairy and raw egg) you should really consider making it – it’s pretty simple! And so worth it. My guide recipe came from Eggnogaholic – what better place?
– Separate 6 eggs (everyone knows the easiest way to do this is to pour the egg into your hand and let the white slip through your fingers, right?)
– Mix the yolks with:
— 2tsp vanilla
— 1/2c sugar
— Pinch of salt
— 1/2c+ rum (we probably did a cup)
– Beat the whites to stiff peaks
– Beat 2c heavy cream to stiff peaks
– Fold everything into each other. In my experience the result was so thick and creamy that no amount of stirring would de-fluff it, so you really can’t mess this up
– Add in as much milk as you want to get it to a consistency that is drinkable. (Here was my main deviation from the recipe because at the outset I didn’t actually have milk, which they say you should add 2 cups of to the rum mixture before you fold it in. I just had about a cup of half-and-half, which I added and which did very little to thin out the fluffy eggnog. Luckily a friend on her way to the party picked up some milk, and I just added it in when she got there.)
– Sprinkle the top of the eggnog with nutmeg. And you’re done!
Use any leftovers (if you have any – we didn’t) to make French toast the next morning!